In the early 1900's

In the early 1900’s


Our Church & Our Staff

Our History
It all started back to 1853 when Jerusalem Chapel became a part of several churches associated within a circuit in and around Augusta County . The original church structure was built around 1900 with additions added in the 1950’s and 1970’s. Tragically, these early structures were destroyed by fire in May of 2006 due to an electrical malfunction in the ‘old’ sanctuary.
The church building as it stands today includes the 1990 addition – which houses the sanctuary and fellowship hall – as well as the Christian Education addition/reconstruction which stands on the site of the original church. The year 2013 marked 160 years of ministry, and in the fall of 2017 we ‘re-dedicated’ our sanctuary following a complete upgrade. While the church facility is used for a wide variety of church-sponsored events and community events, the true ministry happens as we reach out to our community with the love of Christ. We are grateful for the many lives God has touched through the outreach and love of the Jerusalem Chapel family over the years!

2008 Reconstruction


Serving Today
Many pastors have served the fellowship of Jerusalem Chapel, and we are pleased to introduce you to our current pastoral and leadership team.
Pastor Mark Tinsley is our Senior Pastor he is a graduate of Buffalo Gap High School. He is the son of Linda Tinsley and the late Dwight Tinsley. Mark and his wife, Beth, have five children ranging in age from 6-16 years old.
Pastor George Etling is our Associate Pastor. He has served in various ministries here at Jerusalem Chapel through the years as well as pastoring a sister UB Church in Staunton, VA. He began his ministry as an Associate Pastor on September 1, 2018. He and his wife, Cheri, moved from Atlanta, GA, to Swoope, VA in 1998 with plans to live on a farm and raise sheep!
Brandy Waybright is our Music & Worship Director. Brandy grew up in our church and has served in the music ministry for many years – even when a child in our Christmas Musicals and other special events. As an adult, she has faithfully served on our Worship Team, and we are blessed to now have her serving in an ‘official’ capacity as we worship our Savior together each Sunday morning
Those in leadership constantly strive to find effective ways to lead the congregation of Jerusalem Chapel as well as finding creative ways to touch the lives of individuals within our community. One of our goals as leaders is to grow in our spiritual walk personally and then to reach out to others with the love of Christ in practical ways.